Friday 18 April 2014

Easter Oven Gloves

Hello! I am very new to sewing and not very good at it yet, but I enjoy it and wanted a place to bibble about it. At the moment I prefer to sew homeware rather than clothes, because lol terrifying. I hope to graduate to clothes one day!

Let's start with a project I made today. These oven gloves (double pot holder if you're American) were quick, easy and cheap to make. I finished the project from start to finish in a couple of hours. I used one leg from my husband's old jeans (I am using the other leg and the main part to make other things) and some cute, contrasting fabric I was given as an Easter present. I thought denim would be a really good fabric for oven gloves as it is sturdy, resilient and washes really easily.

I vaguely followed this tutorial which is great, but used my own design and measurements. I say measurements - I am a terrible planner and often eyeball things or, as in this case, cut one piece and sort of measure everything else against it. I don't recommend this method! I'm just lazy and afraid of maths.

Another difference is I didn't make the fold-over mitts from the tutorial. The pieces I cut from the jeans were already hemmed at the top, so I hemmed the contrasting fabric to match, sewing in the insul-bright as I went, then topstitched them all the way around. Then I attached the mitts as instructed in the tutorial.

Pictures! Please excuse the state of the furniture. I have cats. You understand.



I'm really pleased with how these came out. I think they look modern and cool, as much as oven gloves can look cool. I've never sewn curves before, and they are fairly even! I even slip-stitched the turning gap closed which I wouldn't normally do (see above re: lazy) but I really like the smooth, seamless look of these and didn't want to break it up with topstitching.

These are going to be a gift for my brother-in-law and his partner, who are buying a flat together. I hope they like them!

No comments:

Post a Comment